Alexa, play “Bad Romance” by Lady Gaga.
There’s nothing quite like a ’00s rom-com.
However, not *every* rom-com couple we grew up with was quite up to the Jenna and Matty standard.
So, without further ado, here are 15 things I can’t believe we let early ’00s movies call “romance.”
1. When Mark declared his love for Juliet — his best friend’s wife — with poster boards on her doorstep in Love Actually.
2. When David fell in love with his kidnapper in Holiday in Handcuffs.
3. When Bella kissed Jacob after he overheard her and Edward talking about their engagement in Eclipse.
4. When Noah hung from a ferris wheel until Allie agreed to go out with him in The Notebook.
5. When Andy quit her job and reconciled with Nate in The Devil Wears Prada.
6. When Melanie didn’t sign her divorce papers before her wedding with Andrew in Sweet Home Alabama.
7. When Ben recklessly chased down Andie’s taxi in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.
8. When Sam told Austin that waiting for him “is like waiting for rain in this drought — useless and disappointing” in A Cinderella Story.
9. When Margaret pressured her assistant into marrying her so she could avoid deportation in The Proposal.
10. When Summer taught Tom to believe in true love in 500 Days of Summer.
11. When Jennifer and Vince didn’t reveal their true feelings for each other until they were literally at the altar in My Fake Fiancé.
12. When Steve finally realized he was in love with Mary, not Fran, on his wedding day in The Wedding Planner.
13. When Gabriella and Troy broke up and got back together three times in the High School Musical trilogy.
14. When Paolo whisked 14-year-old Lizzie all over Rome in The Lizzie McGuire Movie.
15. And finally, when Aaron Samuels asked Cady what day it was in Mean Girls.
Are there any not-so-romantic moments from ’00s movies I missed? Or anything I got terribly, horribly wrong? Let me know the comments!
TV and Movies
Get all the best moments in pop culture & entertainment delivered to your inbox.