This is the hill I will die on.
Horse girls, gallop on over. We need to discuss a subject that is very near and dear to my heart.
I’ve remained silent for a long time, but with DreamWorks planning to release Spirit Untamed later this summer, I can no longer hold my tongue.
This is not something I say lightly. I’ve seen just about every horse movie ever made, from Racing Stripes to Seabiscuit, including some of the ones you probably didn’t know existed, like this:
SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARON is THE GREATEST horse movie of ALL TIME.
1. Spirit is a buckskin Mustang, meaning his coat is a tan/golden-ish color with a black mane and tail. This is unusual in horse movies, which often feature chestnuts, bays, and pitch black horses.
2. This movie is about so much more than just a horse. It’s about love, it’s about racism, it’s about oppression, it’s about freedom.
3. The soundtrack. It’s incredible. Hans Zimmer always delivers, but Bryan Adams didn’t have to go as hard as he did.
4. How many horse movies give us a love story between the HORSES? This one.
5. Matt Damon is Spirit.
6. A POC is the main human protagonist.
7. There’s so much history tied into the film.
8. It’s a story of resilience and redemption.
9. That scene where he jumps across the canyon to freedom …chills.
10. This entire scene is a metaphor for triumph over the white man.
11. The whole movie teaches selflessness.
12. Spirit and Little Creek are constantly saving each other.
13. Baby Spirit should win his own award.
14. Rain’s loyal and equal relationship to Little Creek.
15. And finally, when it ends with this iconic line.
Take a trip down memory lane that’ll make you feel nostalgia AF